The term data protection or data security was originally understood to mean the protection of data itself in the sense of data security, e.g. against loss, alteration or theft. In the meantime, the interpretation of term data protection has been extended and also includes organizational and technical measures against the misuse of data within an organization. The term data security refers to technical measures against the erasure and falsification of data.
The legal basis for this in Germany is the German Federal Data Protection Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz, BDSG) or the data protection laws of the individual federal states and, at the European level since May 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The GDPR is a European Union regulation that standardizes the rules on the processing of personal data by private companies and public bodies throughout the EU.
Federal and state data protection officers are responsible for monitoring data protection at the state level, and the respective data protection officers of the companies are responsible for the individual companies or institutions.
Problem of Data Protection & Data Security
Our data protection and data security services are particularly relevant to you in the following situations:
- Lack of an overview and/or documentation for the existing structures, processes and systems with regard to data protection.
- Violations of data protection, e.g. GDPR, that have become known
- Lack of an internal data protection officer
Development of Adequate Data Protection
Our services in the area of data protection/data security include in particular:
- Analysis/recording and documentation of structures, processes and systems with relevance for data protection
- Derivation, design and implementation of potential for optimization in the area of data security
- Analysis and documentation of the situation as well as the facts in the case of known data protection violations and identification of possible consequences
- Preparation of data protection expert opinions and statements
- Position of the external data protection officer
If you are interested or have any questions, please contact us.